Monday, July 13, 2009

I made a skirt. Or, rather... I reconstructed jeans into a skirt.

For Chickie. See?



My friend Emily inspired me with her own version of mama skirts made from jeans, I googled a bit, and wound up just making it up as I went, no pattern. First time doing pleats, and they're a little off kilter, but 'tis ok by me. =) It looks longer than it is in this picture, it hits around her mid-calves. She's outgrown 12-18 month jeans and pants by length, but the waists are still perfect, so I figure she'll get at least another 6 months or so of wear out of these "jeans" this way.
This fabric is a remnant of a favorite mei tai of mine, a custom freehand I carried Chickie around in most of her young life. I love getting to see it on her, especially now that she isn't enjoying being worn as much.



My granola turned out very tasty! I wanted a simple, no frills recipe that I could add to as desired... so I melted a stick of butter, added about 3/4 C. of honey, 1/2 tsp. vanilla, a sprinkle of nutmeg and a couple of shakes of cinnamon. Let it cook until it was all blended and syrupy, then stirred in 5 C rolled oats. Baked at 350 for about 20ish minutes, stirring every now and again. YUM.

This morning's yogurt has been poured into containers and set in the fridge. I'll report on that after I try it with fruit and granola (hee!) tomorrow morning.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Super cute! I need to make some for my little girly too because I think she'd love them. How did you do your pleats? I'm so intimidated by them!

I'm starting my unplugged challenge tomorrow because you've motivated me. :)

Shanna said...

I had no clue how to do pleats, Em. I had almost double the length of the jeans in skirt material, if that makes sense... and I just started at either side folding the fabric over my thumb, pinning.

I eyed it and estimated the whole way, doing 4 pleats on each side (front left and right, back left and right), and then one smaller pleat on each side of center. I used a bunch of pins and just prayed it would look halfway decent. Ha! I am totally a wing-it seamstress, no training whatsoever. I'm sure there's some proper way of doing it that I ought to read up on!

Unknown said...

Heh. That's funny! That's sort of how I figure most things out. I'm also intimidated by gathering which creates a cute ruffle effect/twirly skirt effect but I'm really intimidated to try. I don't know why I don't just do it. :)